In any given year, there are tens of thousands of commercial trucks operating on the roadways of the United States. These trucks often play a major role in helping businesses, and individuals get goods to their destinations and back again. However, this also means that commercial truck drivers must navigate the roads with care and attention or risk terrible consequences for others.
These statistics about semi-truck accidents in Utah show that these types of accidents remain a serious threat to everyone who travels on area roadways. If you have been involved in an accident with a commercial truck, contact a semi truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
They can help you understand your legal options moving forward and protect your rights from potential third parties. Check out this article for more details on semi-truck accidents in Utah, their causes, and potential remedies for victims.
What is a semi-truck?
Semi-trucks, also known as 18-wheelers, are large types of commercial trucks that are used for long-distance hauling. They are generally larger in size and weight than other commercial vehicles, such as vans and delivery trucks.
Because of their size and weight, they are often given special routes that they can travel on to keep them from interfering with other traffic. Semi-trucks also have different restrictions on what types of roads they can be used on.
For example, some may only be allowed to travel on Interstates, while others may be permitted on certain state highways. Be sure to stay within these rules when driving near semi-trucks. When driving near semi-trucks, you should always remember that they take more time and distance to stop than other vehicles. Avoid tailgating and always give these large vehicles plenty of room to slow down and stop.
Legal Rights for Victims of Semi-Truck Accidents
When an accident occurs, it’s important to understand your rights. If you’ve been involved in a semi-truck accident, you should get in contact with wrongful death truck accident lawyers in Utah. This compensation can help you pay for medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses that come as a result of the accident. The following tips can help you if you’ve been in a semi-truck accident:
- Seek Medical Treatment – You should get medical treatment as soon as possible after a semi-truck accident. This is important to document the damage that you’ve sustained and can help you with your insurance claim later on.
- Find Witnesses – If possible, try to find witnesses who saw the accident take place. They can help you when it comes time to file a claim and prove that another party was at fault.
- Document the Scene – It can be helpful to take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage that is present. This can help you prove that another driver was at fault. It can be helpful to take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage that is present. This can help you prove that another driver was at fault.
Semi-truck accidents in Utah
When accidents occur, they have the potential to cause a great deal of harm. Sometimes, the most serious accidents involve large commercial vehicles. These semi-truck accidents in Utah can occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Inexperienced drivers – Some commercial truck drivers have a very short amount of time to go through the licensing process and training before going out on the road. This can lead to less-than-ideal drivers behind the wheel of a massive truck.
- Truck maintenance – Some companies may not be taking the proper steps to make sure that their vehicles are in safe working order. When trucks break down on the road, they can pose an extreme threat to others nearby.
- Road conditions – Sometimes, the roadways may not be in the best condition, leading to poor conditions for large commercial trucks. Roads may be poorly marked, icy, filled with potholes, or otherwise in poor condition.
Commercial truck safety
When operating commercial trucks, there are a number of things to keep in mind. This includes keeping your truck in good working condition, obeying speed limits, and paying attention to other drivers. Additionally, it’s important to take responsibility for your own safety and that of other people on the road.
You can take the following steps to reduce the risk of commercial truck accidents:
- Get a commercial driver’s license (CDL) – If you’re planning to operate large commercial trucks, it’s important to get a CDL. This license requires training and testing and can take up to a year to obtain.
- Stay alert – Make sure that you’re paying attention to your surroundings, even if you’ve driven a particular route many times before. Avoid distractions like cell phones and other electronic devices that can lead to accidents.
- Stay away from bad weather – Some commercial truck drivers only travel on the roads during good weather conditions, but others may take their trucks out in bad conditions. If you’re one of these drivers, you may want to reconsider your decision in bad weather conditions.
Common causes of semi-truck accidents in Utah
As mentioned above, there are a number of factors that can lead to semi-truck accidents in Utah. Some of the most common causes include:
- Inexperienced drivers – Many truck drivers begin their careers working with smaller trucks before moving on to larger semi-trucks. However, there are a number of differences between these types of trucks, including the amount of time it takes to stop them.
- Bad weather conditions – Some truck drivers stick to good weather conditions and avoid areas with bad weather. However, others take their trucks out in any type of weather and may not be paying enough attention to the conditions.
- Bad road conditions – If the roads are poorly marked, full of potholes, or otherwise in bad condition, semi-trucks can struggle to navigate these roadways.
Semi-truck accidents in Utah can be scary, dangerous events that result in serious injuries. While it’s important to take care of yourself after an accident, it’s also important to take action to protect your legal rights. In some cases, it may be best to consult with an attorney about your options for pursuing damages.