My Snow Day, YA Indie Carnival and a free e-book!

13 Jan

Happy Friday, everyone!

So… this is what I woke up to today:

12-14 inches  of snow– at least that’s what my weatherman says.  We’re getting more throughout the day, so of course that means that schools are closed. Ack.  Somebody pray for me. The white stuff is everywhere and the temperature is in the single digits.  Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Anyway, today’s topic for the YA Indie Carnival is… Books I’m Grateful For.  And yikes- what a difficult topic!  There’s no way I can list all of the books I’m grateful for.  But I’ll try to make a shortened list.

Books that I’m grateful for because they inspired my love of reading:  The Little House on the Prairie books, followed by the Trixie Belden books. Seriously, I loved those books. Starting with the Little House books when I was just barely able to read… I read them over and over, dog-earing the copies and turning myself into a little bookworm.  (but that’s ok- bookworms totally rock!)

Books I’m grateful for because they showed me that books could be scary:  Carrie and Christine.  Wow, can Stephen King write horror!  I was in junior high when I got into his books.  I remember reading Christine when I was at summer camp- secluded on the side of a mountain in Colorado in a cabin… reading with a flashlight in the dark.   I was petrified that night but I made sure to read that book over and over.  Stephen King made me realize that it was entertaining to scare myself.

Books I’m grateful for because they showed me that books could be moving:  Where the Red Fern Grows and The Bridge to Terabithia.  I read both of those books when I was in grade school and cried my eyes out.  But they showed me that books… words… could move someone.  That’s something that I try to utilize in my own writing today.

Books I’m grateful for because they paved the way for YA authors:  The Harry Potter books ( I LOVE them) and the Twilight Series.  JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer showed the world that teenagers and young adults could and would read.

Book I’m grateful for simply because it’s my all time fave:  The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.   Everyone asks me what my favorite book is and my answer is always the same.  I don’t think I’ve ever explained why, though.   One of my dads (I was lucky enough to have two) was a pastor.  And he died very suddenly from a blood clot in his lung when he was only 52.  A couple of months before he died, he had handed me that book to read.  I took it home and set it down- and didn’t get around to reading it until right after he died.   It seemed like a message from him almost– that everyone has a purpose in life- and that life doesn’t end when we die.   For that reason (and also because everything Mitch Albom touches is magic), that book will always be my favorite.

So, those are the books I’m most grateful for.  Find out what books my colleagues are grateful for here.

Different topic…  My book Every Last Kiss, the book that began the Bloodstone Saga, is FREE for Kindle this weekend on Amazon.

So if you’ve been thinking of trying it out, now’s the time- because it’s free.  Did I mention FREE?  You can find it on Amazon here.   It’s Free.  (Free, free, free).

I hope that everyone has a safe and happy weekend!   If you have a snow day like me today, enjoy it.  Even if you don’t, enjoy your Friday… because it’s Friday.  Enough said. :)

About these ads

8 Responses to “My Snow Day, YA Indie Carnival and a free e-book!”

1. Jeyna Grace January 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Those are some interesting titles! Will check them out:)

2. Melissa Pearl (@MelissaPearlG) January 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Thanks for sharing. I love the story about The Five People You Meet In Heaven. That book must be VERY special to you.

Just picked up a copy of Every Last Kiss too. Very excited!!!

3. Tee G Ayer January 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Oh Yes! I too loved Little House on the Prairie and Trixie Belden. Bobbsey Twins was a fave for me too, and Anne of Green Gables. I love how so many of us have overlapping book-loves even when we grew up on opposite ends of the world..
    xx Tee

4. gabriellan January 14, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I cannot begin to say how much I loved Trixie Belden. I wanted to live in a farmhouse, solve mysteries, and feed chickens. When my dad asked me and my siblings what type of dog we wanted, I begged for a red Irish Setter (we got a lab).

5. hrose2931 January 14, 2012 at 4:00 am #

Snow always looks so pretty, until you have to get around in it! Hope the kids have fun!!

Thanks for the heads up on your book!

Happy weekend! Hope you don’t get buried in snow!

6. Patti Larsen January 15, 2012 at 2:09 am #

Trixie Belden’s books were some of the only kids books I read… :) Thanks for the memories about the Bob Whites of the Glen…

7. Molly January 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

I am excited to have found you and your writing. My daughter and i are going to enjoy reading your work.

And i loved the TRIXIE BELDEN series too!! I too read them over and over. My only regret is that in an impulsive moment i gave my whole collection to a young friend years ago only to lose touch. My hope and prayer is that they have continued to be enjoyed over the years by other readers…

God bless you

• gabriellan January 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

I’m sure that friend loved them. That’s actually how I got my hands on Trixie Belden – a friend of my mom’s loaned them to my older sisters. We ended up moving a little while after and they kind of never gave them back, so I inherited them.